FAQs by Category
|FAQ No.:||00061 |
|Question:||What is the difference between Curtain e-locker and other solutions in the market? |
|Answer:||Solutions Currently Available:
- Some solutions can control usage of documents (e.g. Print, Read, copy). However, the control policies are set by document owner. That means… if I am a designer and just create a design file, I can set who can access this file and how they use the file. We believe it is not the solution top management looking for.
- Some solutions only support a few applications (e.g. only support Microsoft Office).
- Some solutions use proprietary file format. They do not work if users need to use original applications to process the documents.
- Some solutions allow administrator to define what sensitive information is. The system will scan through the whole network, PCs and traffic to locate and control the information. However, it is hard for administrator to define the rules. Also, administrator needs to set a threshold for triggering follow up actions. The actions can be blocking suspicious operation and/or system alert. The problem is that it can be too many false alerts if the threshold is too low. But if the threshold is too high, it is easy to have data leakage. You can imagine that the solutions are very complicated to setup and not easy for ongoing maintenance. Moreover, if files are images or well encrypted, these solutions cannot identify whether the information is sensitive or not.
- Some solutions only block some channels (such as USB, Internet, or email), but leave other channels open.
- Some solutions allow administrator to set to encrypt specific file types (e.g. docx, xlsx, and etc) in user workstations automatically. The encrypted files can be only used within the company. However, these solutions are lack of flexibility. For example, when docx is the target protected file type, all docx files in workstation are encrypted. They cannot only protect some sensitive docx documents.
In short, there is no complete solution in the market, except Curtain e-locker.